SVERRE KAATEN NORDIC SHELTER
If you would like to donate to the Nordic Shelter you can now do so via Ski and Snowsports Australia. Click the image below.
The Sverre Kaaten Nordic Shelter was built by volunteers in 1980, funded by donation and grants. It is named in memory of a larger-than-life character from Norway, Sverre Kaaten, who was a key figure in the development of skiing in Perisher Valley in the 1960s. In 2008 a substantial extension and upgrade was completed using volunteers, contractors, government grants and public donations.
This facility serves as the centre for cross country skiing in the Perisher area. It is not only a place to get dry and warm, but also the source of a host of other activities and services that support cross country skiers. The facility supplies the following:
- Two kitchen areas with hot drink facilities, microwaves and toasters.
- A lounging area, plenty of tables to share with friends, and even a tub full of toys for the little ones when they have had enough snow play.
- Lots of storage spaces to leave extra clothing and bags whilst out skiing.
- Toilets and a shower with provisions for the disabled and a baby-change area.
- A purpose-built ski waxing area – bring your own iron and waxes.
- Event and trail grooming management.
- Information for skiers and newcomers to the sport.
- Contact with XC community members, who are involved in XC at all levels of expertise and participation.
On weekends the place buzzes with a mixture of lycra-clad racers who are there for events and training and with families, beginners and others who are there to have fun on skis. If you need a bite to eat, there might be a sausage sizzle, or you can bring your own.
The Nordic Shelter is open from 7.00 am to 6.00 pm every day during the Winter season (the trails are open as early and as late as you want to use them).
The Sverre Kaaten Nordic Shelter is provided and operated by volunteers. Running and maintenance costs are funded by donations. It is requested that all users leave something in the Yellow Donation Boxes in the building and/or make a donation online via link above.